kingofthetrack
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2014 Header Tether rule

2014 Header Tether rule 11 months ago #3586

• td1332
  • Keyboard Commando
As some racers know and for those who do not know effective Jan 1st 2014 the header tether will now be required on all headers. I have become a dealer for www.collectortethers.com they list for 149.99 plus shipping and plan on putting a bulk order together and will be selling for 124.99 plus shipping. The collector tethers are certainly not the cheapest on the market but compared to some others are by far the nicest on the market. And collector tether.com will also be paying contegincy this coming year. Contact me @ 315 254 8408

Re: 2014 Header Tether rule 11 months ago #3590

• zeesbluz
  • Bounty Hunter
Is this ET/Mph based? Or ANY car that has headers? Dragsters and door cars?

Re: 2014 Header Tether rule 11 months ago #3592

I was trying to figure that out myself. Seems like all cars with headers. The alternative to tethering is to have a minimum 1/2 in. weld on each primary.

Re: 2014 Header Tether rule 11 months ago #3593

• zeesbluz
  • Bounty Hunter
Whats next....tether our wheels?.........
The following user(s) said Thank You: elkyman70

Re: 2014 Header Tether rule 11 months ago #3594

It might not work on dragsters but how about making your own? There is no way a tech is going to be able to read the 12pt or smaller font on the cable end reading "NHRA APPROVED" while laying underneath your car. If they even look.

All these look like off the shelf products. Regardless if its patent pending or not all they are doing is bagging up parts. A quick search on McMaster Carr netting me these items totaling about 60-70 bucks:

www.mcmaster.com/#cable-ends/=q0ytu5
www.mcmaster.com/#stainless-steel-cable/=q0ym03
www.mcmaster.com/#t-bolt-hose-clamps/=q0yrce

Re: 2014 Header Tether rule 11 months ago #3595

• red barn
  • Bounty Hunter
zeesbluz wrote:
Is this ET/Mph based? Or ANY car that has headers? Dragsters and door cars?

From what I have read this only applies if you use slip on or bolted on collectors on your header.Doesn't matter if it is a door car or dragster.
your everyday street car running a Hooker comp header already has the collector welded on so this would not apply.
That is what what I gather....but I could be way off. Hopefully Pete can jump in and clarify this
Travis Brown
T104

Red Barn Performance
Auto Care at Split Rock
The Grassmaster
Kevlar Race Engines
The following user(s) said Thank You: tracman466

Re: 2014 Header Tether rule 11 months ago #3596

• td1332
  • Keyboard Commando
yes they could be made cheaper no doubt but it would suck when the tech official went to looked for the NHRA approved cert # on it and didnt find one and then you built a set for 60 then had to go out and buy the approved set later

Re: 2014 Header Tether rule 11 months ago #3597

We are talking about a nhra approved logo no SFI cert #. Just like they can read the SFI cert on my ultra bell or blanket?? Just trying to look out for the local bracket racer that doesn't attend any national events.

Here is a cheap 60 dollar alternative that is supposedly NHRA approved. Not even having to make your own.

www.nic-fab.com/collector-cable.html

Re: 2014 Header Tether rule 11 months ago #3598

• td1332
  • Keyboard Commando
I didnt say there wasnt cheaper because there is but they are not by any means nicer

Re: 2014 Header Tether rule 10 months, 4 weeks ago #3600

I'm changing my name to NHRA so I can approve mechanics wire!

Re: 2014 Header Tether rule 10 months, 3 weeks ago #3602

• estapete
  • Administrator
The rule applies to headers that have slip on type collectors and I think it also applies to the slip on style mufflers. We have our annual tech meeting with NHRA in two weeks and I'm sure it will be discussed. If the header collector is already welded to the pipes that should be fine and I would think that if you bolted your exhaust to the header flange with the typical three bolt pattern that should be fine as well. I did not see any e.t. limit to the rule and I hope that it is worded in the E.T. section not just buried in the General Regulations like it is now on the internet.
Pete

Re: 2014 Header Tether rule 10 months, 3 weeks ago #3608

you can buy all that hardware from McMaster carr for at lot less pesos...tig wire is even cheaper...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.30 seconds
ned_nhra Jrdragsterlogo sm

©2000-2014 ESTA Safety Park Dragstrip
Box 1189 - Cicero, NY 13039

Website Design and Maintenance by Extreme Exposures

summit