kingofthetrack
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Newbie to drag racing.

Newbie to drag racing. 8 months, 3 weeks ago #3642

I am hoping and planning to attend the April T&T at Esta. I will be running a 77 Mustang 2 with a 302. Is there anyone that can give me any tips or valued insight as to how to prepare and what to expect? I am hoping that any info I can get will help not to make a total fool of myself or do anything to incur the wrath of more experienced contenders. As an example, last year a friend of mine, a newbie, ended up going in a wrong direction on one of the roads. Any assistance or advice will be gratiously accepted. Thanks to all. Oh, by the way, the car has been run at Empire, slightly under 13 secs, and is all set up for racing. Thanks again.

Re: Newbie to drag racing. 8 months, 3 weeks ago #3643

• gasser65
  • Trophy Racer
yep, that was me, went the wrong way on the return road- didn't know any better
also, didn't know about the 1st turn off, off the track- not marked
I'm also new, going to try it again, still getting in tune with the car
there are so many things going on, which staging lane, where to park- don't want to take somebodys place
but, I think you all do a great job, I've had lots of encouragement, we laugh together about my screw up
I had a guy park next to me, had a camero on an open trailer, nice guy, gave me a hug, said he worked in the staging lanes, I think the camero is his daughters car, if you know who this is, would you please give me his phn. no
another guy- had a dragster, parked across from me, he helped with the camero, helped me with an increasing idle- vacuum leak, would like his name and phn. no
thank you all for the help, support, and not kicking me out
chris

Re: Newbie to drag racing. 8 months, 3 weeks ago #3644

• Halzman
  • Bounty Hunter
Last year was my first year. I pretty much did everything wrong you can possibly do at that track. I learn the hard way. lol
Just remember to always wait in the burnout box for the single to warm up slicks. Make sure to bring radio so you dont miss your "designated" time trials for your class.
The following user(s) said Thank You: pejay427

Re: Newbie to drag racing. 8 months, 3 weeks ago #3645

we understand how you feel . we went through it a couple of years ago. If you need help get with us, we run super pro car 1836. Just out to have a safe and good time . Good luck and enjoy. Thanks

Re: Newbie to drag racing. 8 months, 3 weeks ago #3646

What type of radio do I need?

Re: Newbie to drag racing. 8 months, 3 weeks ago #3647

pejay427 wrote:

An FM radio tuned to 88.3 on the dial will do.
RedBarn Performance

Team Wagonator's offical slowest member.

The Grassmaster
315-663-1556

Re: Newbie to drag racing. 8 months, 3 weeks ago #3648

Who tells me what class I will run in? The car has been run before (not by me) and on the rear window it says:
Pro/Mod
NB

My thanks to all.

Re: Newbie to drag racing. 8 months, 3 weeks ago #3649

2888 - would have been the previous owners car number.

Pro/mod/no box - means your car would be best suited for pro (non electronics ie. No trans brake, delay boxes, air/electric shifters)or modified trophy class

If you have never raced the car before I would suggest running modified, to get your feet wet in the sport of bracket racing.

I would try to make it out to a test and tune early in the year. You will get multiple runs in to get comfortable in the car.
RedBarn Performance

The Grassmaster
315-663-1556

Re: Newbie to drag racing. 8 months, 3 weeks ago #3650

hi my name is terry scheirer I am the one who was tuneing the camaro and helped you fix your vacumn leak. I am there all the time in the same spot me and my daughter need any help I am always there.

Re: Newbie to drag racing. 8 months, 3 weeks ago #3651

The Grassmaster wrote:
pejay427 wrote:

An FM radio tuned to 88.3 on the dial will do.

I think it's actually 89.3 Gene.

Re: Newbie to drag racing. 8 months, 3 weeks ago #3654

• red barn
  • Bounty Hunter
We have all been the New guy and made mistakes. Don't worry about it. The important part is that hopefully you will enjoy it and keep racing. My advice would be after you get your car tech inspected....spend some time in the staging lane area. Watch the process as other cars go through it. It will help you know where to stage, when to pull in the burnout box, when to start your burnout etc. Dont be afraid to ask questions to your fellow racers. Everyone is happy to help out someone new to the track.
Travis Brown
T104

Red Barn Performance
Auto Care at Split Rock
The Grassmaster
Kevlar Race Engines

Re: Newbie to drag racing. 8 months, 3 weeks ago #3655

You're right about that Bob. This silly smart phone and my fingers don't mix. He would have been listening to the sound of smooth jazz 88 and not super G. (Track announcer).

No matter what new guy, there will always be someone there at the track who will be glad to help. So, no worries. You'll have blast.
RedBarn Performance

The Grassmaster
315-663-1556

Re: Newbie to drag racing. 8 months, 3 weeks ago #3656

• red barn
  • Bounty Hunter
Quicker than 14.00 you will need a snell approved helmet. Not sure where you are located, but maybe you can get a racer to swing buy and give the car a once over from a tech inspection stand point. It might save you from having any tech issues when you get to the track
Travis Brown
T104

Red Barn Performance
Auto Care at Split Rock
The Grassmaster
Kevlar Race Engines

Re: Newbie to drag racing. 8 months, 3 weeks ago #3658

Thanks,

I do have a snell approved helmet and jacket. The last time the car was run was in 2010 at Empire and did 12.778 @107.52, best is/was 12.67 @109.97. I live in St. Lawrence County and have no knowlegde of anyone in the area doing this.. I there is they are free to contact me.

Thanks for the insight.

Re: Newbie to drag racing. 8 months, 3 weeks ago #3661

• Halzman
  • Bounty Hunter
By the way I have @ Terry Shiers garage tons of parts for that 302. Terry has done all the work on my 94 Ford Ranger. Cant say enough about those guys @ TS auto....great crew
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.51 seconds
ned_nhra Jrdragsterlogo sm

©2000-2014 ESTA Safety Park Dragstrip
Box 1189 - Cicero, NY 13039

Website Design and Maintenance by Extreme Exposures

summit