kingofthetrack
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Klaus..Dieroff

Re: Klaus..Dieroff 1 year, 5 months ago #2469

• Rdrbn
  • Administrator
Glad to hear that Klaus is getting better...it is a long rough road, but he will be back to himself before you know it. I have been there, hang in there Pat, it gets better everyday! Prayers are still with you!

Robin

Re: Klaus..Dieroff 1 year, 5 months ago #2479

8:30 pm...
Just home from hospital...Klaus doing very well...All IV's and tubes out...they still have the line in his neck for the Dialysis if needed , but he's been off dialysis for 3 days and his kidney is doing well...they will probably remove that line tomorrow...
He walked from his room down to the nurses station about 50 feet one way...and back, with his walker and a nurse...this morning and tonight walked a bit futher than that.
He is now on a very restricted diet ...its a Renal diet...lots of things he can no longer have....also he will be on coumadin, when he comes home ...which they have started him on. We had to watch a video about this today.
Not much different than the Plavix he's taken for 7 years...just a lot more no no's and cautions
He will probably move to a rehab facility sometime this week...he may be evaluated tomorrow or Tuesday. Update tomorrow night
Pat
To Never Take a Chance is to Never Know What could Have Been

Pit Observer

Re: Klaus..Dieroff 1 year, 5 months ago #2482

8pm...
Klaus walked the whole length of the hallway tonight and back...twice...with me and the walker
Where they took out the staples he is sore and leaking from both sides of the incision, they have it packed, but he is doing great...They took out the tubes today for the dialysis, so that won't be needed any longer...The kidney Dr was in to see him this morning and told him the one kidney is doing great...its not fully functioning, but doing very well
3 weeks today since surgery...His Dr. and I hugged tonight...the Dr also reinforced to klaus that the Cancer can come back at any time, and anywhere and spread quickly..he got what he could see on the xrays and scans...but ...
He also said depending on what the physical therapist says tomorrow...Klaus may be able to COME HOME!!! on Wednesday...
Klaus was really beat tonight when I left...but he's trying hard now to do what the Dr's say so he can come home...
Update again tomorrow night
Pat

Pit Observer

Re: Klaus..Dieroff 1 year, 5 months ago #2485

8 pm
Klaus will NOT be coming home yet...as much as he wants and I would like it he is not ready...he fell this morning , so I've been told, and he will not eat properly or not do the physical therapy or walk down the hall like they want him to.
He is complaining about every little thing, and making excuses as to why he "can't".

His incision is not healing well and they have it packed and change the dressing and packing several times a day...tomorrow they will be using a foam sponge and taping it inside and then using a vacuum tube of some kind to suction out the "icky" parts and then seal it with some kind of glue...

He will probably be going to a nursing home /rehab center in a day or so, as soon as they find a bed for him. The physical therapy floor at the hospital said as of right now they will not take him either.

His surgeon thinks he can go home.....I told him NO, he would be home alone all day and he is NOT ready. I will be seeing the discharge planner again tomorrow night, and know more.

I am emotionally and mentally drained from being with him tonight...I have a headache the size of Alaska...and I'm off to bed

Update again tomorrow night

Pat

Pit Observer

Re: Klaus..Dieroff 1 year, 5 months ago #2490

7:30 pm...
Left Klaus at the hospital feeling tired. They put a vacuum in his stomach today to seal the incision, its kinda like a seal-a- meal....they put a foam sponge thingy inside and seal it over with a special tape and it has a hose hooked up to a vacuum...that pumps out the "icky" and let the cut heal from the inside out...
He says it feels much better and he has walked 3 times down the hall today and wil once more before bed...
We are still up in the air as to where they will be sending him....the hospital rehab itself can't take him , because our insurance won't cover it...so they have requested to send him to St. Camillus Nursing Rehab Center...they are reviewing his medical records and we should know tomorrow. His surgeon still thinks he can come home...
I don't think he's ready to be home yet...maybe another day or two or a week , when he can be more stable and can walk up and down stairs...
We'll see...
Update again tomorrow
Pat

Pit Observer

Re: Klaus..Dieroff 1 year, 5 months ago #2493

7:30
Klaus coming home tomorrow....I pick him up around 10 a.m.
He will be coming home with a portable vacuum (like I explained last night, to close the incision)
The people from St. Camillus home care will be here Saturday to evaluate him and see what kind of care he needs, and will set up a plan from there for physical therapy and to change the packing and bandages for the vacuum ...etc...
Thank you all from us both for the Love and support, and prayers along the way...we are a long way from over...
but headed in the right direction.
31 days....Whew!!!!....*big sigh*
I'll keep updating , but he should be able to post for himself in a few days
Pat

Pit Observer

Re: Klaus..Dieroff 1 year, 5 months ago #2495

With that portable vacuum, he can do the living room, and get caught up on the laundry! Glad to see things are going well!

Re: Klaus..Dieroff 1 year, 5 months ago #2496

GREAT NEWS....but i am concerned as doc is.....if he going to be using the vacuum in his stomach for cleaning up around the house. is he going to have to schooch along the floor to make it work??? ha ha...if that dont work just have doc come over ..he is a pretty good sucker...lol.ha hahahah...great news on getting better....scott b...aka sundayfunmoney......

Re: Klaus..Dieroff 1 year, 5 months ago #2497

• tummy
  • Bounty Hunter
Great news, things are getting better everyday.

Re: Klaus..Dieroff 1 year, 5 months ago #2498

Jeff and Scott....You guys are tooo funny....I've been saving these messages for klaus to read when he comes home...but he may end up busting a gut (which is the purpose of the vacuum to close) and set us back a few days again...

But they say laughter is the best medicine...

Thank you all for the support...I'm off to go collect him from the hospital right now...

I'll update later
Pat

Pit Observer

Re: Klaus..Dieroff 1 year, 5 months ago #2501

• Ourmerc
  • Trophy Racer
Happy Thanksgiving Klaus and Pat and all of our racing families!! Truley this is a reason to give thanks !! One day at a time is all we have !! Enjoy it !!

Bob Meader 3131

Re: Klaus..Dieroff 1 year, 5 months ago #2503

Klaus and I hope everyone had a Great time at the Banquet last night, sorry we couldn't make it....

8 a.m.
We had a fun night last night, the alarm went off on the vacuum pump hooked to Klaus just before 1 a.m., the message said the machine was blocked and the therapy had stopped working. I could not find what was wrong so I changed the cannister part of the pump, and still the alarm was going off. I ended up calling the nurse for home care and over the phone we could not figure it out, and at that point I could hear air hissing out of the tube that goes into his stomach....so she came to the house about 1:45 a.m.
She ended up pulling the whole packing out and re-doing the whole thing, and re-setting the pump...she left about 2:15 and Klaus was up and down a couple of other times in the night for the bathroom, and each time I get up to help. He has to carry the pump in a little fanny pack and drape the hoses around his neck so he won't fall over them and we have to un-plug the unit , then reverse it all when he gets back to bed. Hopefully not too long...maybe another week or so...I saw the incision last night when the nurse re-did it and it looks to be healing up really well in a couple of the spots...just one larger spot that may take a while.
He's lost about 40 lbs before his surgery and 35 lbs since his surgery...but he seems to be doing a bit better each day, and his appetite is picking up and he seems to be getting a little stronger. He goes back to his family Dr. on Tuesday for a follow up visit, and back to the surgeon in a 2 or 3 weeks
And we'll know more then...
til next update
Pat

Pit Observer

Re: Klaus..Dieroff 1 year, 4 months ago #2504

Sounds like he's doing a lot better overall - glad to hear he's back home! I'm surprised you didn't say you caught him trying to go down into the garage to work on his cars! Make him sit and behave Pat!

Re: Klaus..Dieroff 1 year, 4 months ago #2505

Pat and Klaus,
So very glad to hear Klaus is home, hope that machine behaves itself.....you too Klaus!! I wish you both a great Thanksgiving, as I do everyone in our ESTA "family". Eat 2 pieces of pie on Thanksgiving Klaus!

Kim Rossiter
Street $$ racer

Re: Klaus..Dieroff 1 year, 4 months ago #2508

5pm....
Klaus had a very tiring day today....
The home care nurse was here to change his vacuum pump and then the physical therapist was here
(Klaus got outside and walked partway down and back up the front steps)
Then I had to take him to his primary Dr. for a followup visit (He walked the whole way without his walker)
He is pale and, still anemic according to his Dr. but the rest of his vital signs were ok.
We go the first week of Dec. for lab work and follow up with his surgeon to see what happens next...
In the mean time...home nurse is here M-W-F and physical therapist 2 or 3 x's a week
He is exausted and napping at the moment.
More updates later
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!
Klaus & pat

Pit Observer
Time to create page: 0.37 seconds
ned_nhra Jrdragsterlogo sm

©2000-2014 ESTA Safety Park Dragstrip
Box 1189 - Cicero, NY 13039

Website Design and Maintenance by X-Site Web Design

summit